Ways to Plan Ahead:
- Gather personal information for your obituary.
- Choose a charity to direct donations to, if desired.
- Make note of any instructions for your services and final disposition.
- Choose burial or cremation.
- Select a casket or cremation container.
- Choose locations and types of services.
- Choose floral arrangements.
- Select which photographs and memorabilia you’d like to display.
- Consider any customs, traditions, or religious rites that are important to you and your family.
- Choose the clothing you’d like to be dressed in.
- Select music and hymns, if desired.
- Choose a theme for decorations and stationery at your services.
- Arrange transportation for your physical remains and your family.
- Choose a clergy member or officiator to preside over the service.
- Select any musicians whose talents you’d like to employ.
- Select pallbearers.
- Choose friends or family members to perform the eulogy, read scripture, or prepare a speech.
- Choose a cemetery.
- Select a burial plot or mausoleum.
- Select a memorial or grave marker and inscription.
- Decide who will keep your urn.
- Decide who will scatter your ashes and where.
Information You'll Need
- Your father’s name
- Your mother’s maiden name
- Your level of education
- Your social security number
- Fraternal organizations
- Service organizations
- Union memberships
- Any special recognitions you have
Military Service Information
- Military service
- Branch rank
- Date of enlistment
- Date of discharge
- Name(s) of war/conflict(s) toured
- Serial number
There’s no need to make all the decisions right away. For personalized assistance in creating your plan, contact one of our experts to schedule a one-on-one meeting.
Get Your Free Funeral Pre-Planning Checklist Today
By pre-planning your funeral service, you are lifting the financial and emotional burden off of your loved ones. You also have the freedom to make your funeral service exactly what you want it to be.
At Johnson-Taylor Funeral & Cremation, you can start your funeral pre-planning anytime. Our staff are here to help you every step of the way.
To help you get started on pre-planning, we made a pre-planning checklist that you can download for free. This way you can stay organized and know you’re not forgetting any important details.