What is Burial?
Burial is a type of final disposition where the deceased is placed into the ground. Traditionally, the deceased is embalmed and placed into a casket that is buried. However, natural burials are becoming more common. Typically, in this case, the body isn’t embalmed and is simply buried as is or even wrapped in a shroud and then buried.
It’s also common to do burial after cremation. This means that the deceased’s ashes are placed into the ground and buried. Typically, a grave marker or headstone will be placed where the ashes are buried. However, it is also common for people to keep their loved one’s ashes or even scatter them at a later time.
There also is above-ground burial or entombment. This is when the deceased’s body is placed in a casket, which then remains in a mausoleum.
Why Choose Burial?
Having a burial service allows you to give your loved one a proper funeral ceremony that they deserve. Witnessing the burial helps you honor and respect your loved one, while also helping you process their passing and cope with your grief. Additionally, you may choose burial based on your religious or personal beliefs.
Being in nature also can bring you some comfort while mourning your loss. Research shows that being in nature helps regulate serotonin levels in the brain, which helps stabilize our overall mood.
It also gives your family and friends a meaningful place to visit when you want to feel close to your loved one. It can be a personal or family tradition to regularly visit your loved one’s gravesite to leave flowers, share memories, or simply to sit and think about your loved one.
Burial Service Types
Whether you want a traditional in-ground burial or an above-ground entombment in a mausoleum, our funeral home’s staff can help you plan a meaningful burial service.
Some burial services you can choose from are:
- An immediate burial without a visitation or service. Your family may decide on this option if your loved one requested that there was no visitation or service. However, the funeral isn’t just about the person being honored. It’s a way for their family and friends to begin their grief journeys.
- A visitation with an open or closed casket before the funeral service or burial. Having a visitation before the funeral service gives you an opportunity to pay your respects to the deceased and express your condolences to their family.
- A funeral service at a funeral home, church, or another location. This typically includes prayer, readings, singing of hymns, and a eulogy about the deceased’s life.
- A graveside service at the cemetery. You can have a graveside service instead of a traditional funeral service or in addition to a funeral service. A graveside service takes place before the burial.
- A celebration of life service. This is similar to a traditional funeral service, but provides more opportunities for personalization. It’s often held at a unique location and more celebratory in tone rather than somber. It also can include a burial service like with a traditional service. Or, it may take place well after the funeral service, so family and friends can continue to celebrate and honor their loved one’s memory.
You also can choose to have a graveside service in addition to or instead of a traditional funeral service.
Ready to Plan a Burial Service
Whatever your preferences on burial services, our knowledgeable staff can help craft a service that reflects families’ funeral and burial service wishes.
Visit our funeral home or contact us to learn more about your options for funeral services.
Immediate Burial: 2,995.00
Our package charges for immediate burial include basic services of funeral director and staff, the local (within 10 miles) transfer of remains to the funeral home, the basic sheltering of the remains, the obtaining of necessary permits and authorizations, and local transportation to the cemetery, sanitary care and preparation or remains for identification. This charge does not include the use of facilities and staff for any visitation or ceremony, public or private prior to burial, or any sheltering for days on which no post death activities occur. Nor does it include the actual cost of the grave at the cemetery, or the cemetery's charges for opening or closing of the grave, any required outer burial container or cash disbursements, or anything not expressly stated as being provided.
1. Immediate burial with container provided by purchaser: $2,995.00 2. Immediate burial with basic burial casket: $4,650.00 3. Immediate burial with casket selected from our funeral home: $2,995.00